Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Laughter at the Graveside.

This will be a quick one. I'm hoping it'll bring you a laugh.

My grandma Nease died back in April and we all took a trip to Mt. Vernon, OH to bury her ashes with Grandpa and their son, David. (This is their first son David, who died in 1970. Their second son David is still alive and all too well. So don't worry if you thought I was talking about him.) The whole family had gathered around the gravestone and my family of 4 was just about the last to arrive. While we weren't all crying or anything, it was kind of a somber moment as you may imagine. Josh was walking a bit ahead of us and Joy and I were kind of watching to see how he reacted to everything. I was all ready to console him and explain carefully what was going to happen. I was concerned the he'd think it was weird.

Well Josh, ever the shy guy, walks right up to the 8-inch circular hole awaiting the ashes, peers down into the 3-foot chasm and exclaims, "That...hole...is...AWESOME!!!"

Somehow, I don't think grandma would have been all that upset.

Just had to post that story before I forgot it.

2 comments:

*Austin Mommy* said...

That's SO great!! And the hole probably was awesome - he was just the one to come out with it! LOVE it when kids say the things they say. Perfect! :)

Jeff and Serena said...

That's cute.
When Jeff's grandmother died we told our oldest that Grandma went to heaven to be with Jesus...so, we're at the service and they wheel grandma's casket in and Kaitlyn screams..."AH, Why did grandma come back and why is she in a box!"
We forgot the whole 'grandma's spirit is in Heaven, but her body's in the box thing.' We got some pretty interesting looks that day.