Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mission Accomplished



Well, we did it. My brother Jeremy came over at 9am yesterday to help me unload our "new" swing set from my truck. I was a bit concerned that it was too big for the area that I had in mind. It was, sort of. It was about 5 inches too wide. I had placed it between two oak trees behind our garage and the two trees were just a little too close to each other to allow the swing set/playhouse stretch out like it needed to. The really annoying thing was that both of the trees were dead! I need to cut them down. I would have done this if Jeff Turner had brought his chainsaw over last Friday like I asked him to, but he's a slacker. (Actually no, he's a great friend and I should get my own chainsaw. He's been a bit preoccupied now that he's running his own company.) Once I decided where to place the set the re-assembly was actually easier than the disassembling process. Fortunately, father-in-law was there to help. So was Joshua. He served as the "motivation" to get the project done quickly. "Dad, can I use it now? Can I get on it now? How about now? How much longer until it's done?"

The area we set it on wasn't exactly level so we had to prop up and stabilize some of the base. It worked out ok, though the bottom of the slide is about a foot lower than it should be. The result is the steepest and fastest slide in Braintree. A couple of days later I went back to Craigslist looking at the swing sets that were for sale rather than "Free". I found one that was almost identical to the one we have that a family was trying to sell for $500. Granted it was newer and in a little better shape, but I felt pretty good about our hand-me-down! Josh has already declared that it is his "lab" that he and his cousins will use to solve "investigations" when they visit. I'm sure our first set of stitches will arrive soon!

No comments: