Thursday, October 16, 2008

He's Gone Country

I was never really a country music fan. I'm not sure why, really. To be honest, I think part of it was a snobbish Yankee attitude thing. Some of the twang bothered me a little. But my wife loved it, so I tolerated the country music in the car. Then one summer she dragged me along to a country music festival of sorts here in Boston. There were 4 performers at the show we saw. Keith Urban, Martina McBride, Alan Jackson, and one other that I can't remember. I have to admit, I was pretty blown away. I recognized a couple of Alan Jackson's songs and liked the music with simple messages that he performed. They're not all that deep, simply songs about life. And I found that it wasn't all that true about the "whoa is me" lyrics that are supposed to make everybody cry. He didn't just sing about losing his wife, dog, and truck. It was some stuff I could identify with. He's a man's man. Probably a bit too much testosterone for me, but it was OK. Keith Urban was relatively new at the time, but he could really rock. I still enjoy his concerts more than just about any others that I have been to. The musical talent impressed me as much as anything else at these concerts. I was expecting banjos, spoons, and mouth harps, with the occasional moonshine bottle thrown in for a bit o' bass. What I heard was some very talented musicians that actually sounded a lot more like rock than blue grass.

I particularly remember being blown away by Martina McBride's voice. I couldn't believe what she could do vocally. Her voice was so strong and never wavered. It seemed like she could belt out high, long notes, on pitch, endlessly. The pitch thing is important to me. Not a lot of people know this but I played piano for around 12 years. I never learned to read music too well, but I got pretty good at playing by ear. I knew if something was wrong if it didn't sound right. I don't play the piano any more, but I still have a really good ear for pitch. Some have told me I have perfect pitch. I don't, and I really admire those who do (like my sister and my friend Melody), but I am pretty good at hearing when someone is singing off key (including myself which happens a lot). American Idol can be hard to watch sometimes as I can hear when a contestant is a bit off. Paula and Randy like to refer to this as "pitchy." The thing is, Paula and Randy aren't really good at hearing when someone is pitchy and when they aren't. I've heard some contestants be really off and get high praise from the judges while others are right on and get lambasted by them for being pitchy. I roll my eyes a lot listening to those pretentious judges.

I also struggle with live bands some times. There will be a song that I hear and love on the radio and then I hear the artist do it live and I'm very disappointed because they really can't carry a tune that well. I'm often amazed that they did it well enough for the recording. I think this is one thing that I really like about country music. More often than not, the person performing is right on pitch, and they have a strong voice. Martina McBride is my favorite for this. She's just amazing when she sings.

I'm blogging about country music because last night I went with my wife to see Carrie Underwood. A band called "Little Big Town" opened for her. They sing a song called "Boondocks" which talks about having pride in being where you are from. "I feel no shame, I'm proud of where I came from, I was born and raised in the BOOOOndocks!" (This is one of my son Josh's favorite songs. Joy and I were really wishing he was there to see it.) The whole concert was wonderful. I really enjoyed myself and the company I was with. I think the Carrie Underwood story is great, and as annoying as American Idol can be sometimes, I love to see people who were "nobodies" attain a dream. Carrie Underwood is no fluke. She has an amazing talent. The vocal talent of Little Big Town was great too. I litterally get chills when I hear strong harmonies, and I felt them a couple of times while Little Big Town was on.

I remember another concert we went to a while back. It was a Tim McGraw and Faith Hill concert. Faith is another female vocalist that some would say tops Martina. Not for me, but it's close. I remember watching her and Tim (who is also her husband) sing and noting how much I was enjoying it. I'm not the type to go to a concert because I have some fascination with the performer. I don't really want to be them, but I do want to enjoy what they offer. When I'm at the concerts I often look around at all the people there interacting with the music, and the performer interacting with the crowd. It's a dance of sorts, with one building momentum from the other. I really like to watch the interplay- the artist doing something that brings joy into the lives of others.

I remember being particularly appreciative of this interplay at the Hill/McGraw concert. I had one of those "everything is right with the world" moments. It was a little weird, but very meaningful for me. I was simply so glad that these two, particularly Faith Hill, were using the talent that God gave them. It would have been a shame if they didn't use it. I looked around the arena at all of the people singing, dancing, and screaming in delight and really couldn't help but think God was pleased with the fact that she was using her talent to provide joy for others. Now granted, she wasn't leading hymns in church, but I don't think that's all God wants us to do with our gifts. I don't believe that we're gifted just to please God. Well, maybe I do, but I think that when we're helping others to experience joy, even the joy of listening to music at a secular concert, God is pleased. And I don't think God is totally pleased if we're not doing all we can to help others experience joy. It's part of what makes life worth living. Sometimes I think God still looks at some of His creation and calls it "good" when it's going according to His plan. Faith Hill, Martina McBride, Keith Urban, Tim McGraw, Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Little Big Town, all using their talents in ways that bring joy into people's life must make God happy on some level in-as-much as their singing is according to plan.

So all in all, I'm very appreciative of my wife bringing country music into my life. I've seen quite a few country musicians now including: Faith Hill (wonderful voice), tim McGraw (great performer), Martina McBride (perfection in her voice), Alan Jackson (knows how to enjoy life), Tovy Keith (more testosterone here than at an NFL game. He's a bit too gung-ho for me, but he's got some great music.), Keith Urban (lots of energy), Kenny Chesney (somehow this little pipsqueak is all the rage with the women), Little Big Town (fun songs and good harmony), Carrie Underwood (talented girl with a wonderful voice, and not all that bad to look at!), and Charlie Daniels (a "Christian" that refers to people as panty waste. I'll let the Lord judge.) I'll continue to attend concerts where I can understand and appreciate the lyrics. Live music is great no matter what kind it is. I love that feeling that goes through your skin when the bass is so smooth and loud. My skin feels like it's rippling water with the vibrations running through it. I love it.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

First politics and now country music?!?!

Could you please write something that people care about?

Jeff and Joy Scott Family said...

When I figure out what people care about maybe I'll blog about it! Good point!

Melissa said...

wow Jeff - Steve and I are very proud of you for coming over!