Monday, October 20, 2008

Stuff I don't get...



I think there will probably be two blogs this morning. This one will be short, the second probably will not. This is the first of many blogs about things that I just don't get. I have no idea what the subject of the second installment of "stuff I don't get" will be, but the subject this time around is beer- specifically Coors Light.

I've got this weird issue about commercials. I hate dumb ones. Even worse than that, I hate commercials that don't make sense to me. Even worse than that, I hate commercials that try to sell me on something that is totally the reverse of what the same company has been trying to sell me for years.

For as long as I can remember Coors Light has had commercials that stated that it was brewed from water "In the Rocky Mountains" so the water was cold. Then it was brewed cold, then filtered cold, then packaged cold, then shipped cold, then sold cold. I'm pretty sure the message was "Our beer is going to taste better because has always been cold!!!" Now all of the sudden all of the commercials are about the new Coors Light bottles and cans that turn blue when the beer is cold. WTF? If it's brewed cold from cold water in the Rockies, filtered cold, packaged cold, shipped cold, and sold cold, then why do I need a bottle or can that turns blue when it's cold? Were you lying before? Or should I allow my beer to get warm, so I can test out the cool (no pun intended) white-to-blue label? Have you given up on selling the beer on it's taste and now you're going to sell the beer because of the label? Geez.

The funny thing is, I don't buy beer that often ("rarely" doesn't come close to how infrequent it is) so I don't know why I even care. I have too much time to think.